Some crazy things are happening right now in Michigan.
- Have to share this link by Fox News of a Big Foot sighing about 5 miles from my house in Northern Michigan.
- A New Fly Box by Plan D, this box is perfect for Steelhead patterns. Check out the review by Ed McCoy, if you like to fish streamers for steelhead.
- Would not of believed this if I wasn’t the one that took the picture. Yesterday while trout fishing on the Manistee River we found a Hex floating down the river. Had to take a quick picture and let this guy fly away.
A photo posted by Mangledfly (@mangledfly) on
Need a gift idea? Personalized Cell Phone Cases make great gifts. Or maybe you just simply need a new Cell Phone Case for your iPhone or Galaxy? Now you can have any image from Mangled Fly Media added to your Cell Phone Cases. I’m happy to load any image that you might want. If you see an image on our Instagram Feed , or from any article we have been featured in. Feel free to contact me direct and I’ll make sure that our Smug Mug Feed has the image to create the Cell Phone case your looking for.
I’ll load any picture from a recent fishing trip even years past, or check out a few of our Underwater images, whatever your preference. This is a great product and will protect your phone. Simply pick any image you want and click the BUY button in the lower right corner of the image. Once you “buy this photo” a catalog of options will load on your screen. Select the Phone Cases option and pick the phone case that is right for you.
If you have any problems let me know. Happy to help you with the order.
Another Option Brown Trout Skin Cover
So those that fish with me know that I have a few superstition’s. 1 – NO BANANA’S 2- No white lighters . Bring either of these items in the boat and you will get some sort of negative reaction. #grumpyguide.
Also my wife has been known to laugh at me, as I tend to wear certain clothing items when I’m guiding and not others. Based on past success when wearing these certain clothing items. With that I have lucky hats that I will continue to wear when fishing is good. And No Way do we wash these hats, can’t clean out the good luck! No matter how bad they start to stink! With that, one thing I’ve noticed this year, is that clients wearing the Digital Camo Cap in my boat this month have scored some nice trout.
So can it be true that the Digital Camo Cap can help you score a trout over 20″? Proof might be in the pudding. I know if I didn’t have one yet, I would get one before they are gone.
- Happy February! For those ski bums out there, better get it in before it’s gone. Winter is already on the downhill slide. In the world of unemployed fishing guide (like myself), what February means is only 1 more month until Prime Time starts again. New fishing reports for the Manistee River and the Muskegon River after a great weekend of weather. With a good mix of steelhead around on the west side of the state, and new fish starting to already show up for the Spring push, things are looking good. February has been a long time favorite, with plenty of fish around and less people. Makes for some good fishing.
- Fly Tying Event at Muskegon River Fly Shop , I’ll be tying February 19th and will be focusing on baitfish patterns for Pike / Muskie. Contact Justin to sign up. If you can’t make the 19th, check out Drew Rosema on February 5th , Drew will be tying Steelhead Patterns. Check out Kevin Feenstra on February 26th as well, you will not be disappointed. Should be a great couple events, if you haven’t stopped by Justin’s shop he has one of the best fly tying selections in northern Michigan.
- February 12-14th I’ll be in Milwaukee , WI at the Muskie Expo, if you happen to be in the area stop by. I’ll be hanging out with Brad Petzke of Rivers North, with some new things (that I can’t talk about yet) in the booth. Plus I’ll have the new muskie shirts available, they just showed up this weekend. They look great. Will get them on the web here soon as well. I’m looking to expand my Muskie calendar, if your interested in a trip contact me. Going on my 5th year of chasing these amazing predators. I look forward to learning additional water this year, and piecing together more of the puzzle.
Check out the latest VOD featuring Russ Maddin, tying his Flash Monkey baitfish imitation. Thank you Russ for sitting down with us, and sharing this pattern. More than just a fly tying video. Check it out, and let us know your thoughts.
This fly tying video is another instructional in our series of videos that you can view at our Videos on Demand page, check out other titles to expand your fly fishing education. Thank you for your continued support, and don’t hesitate to let us know what additional videos you want to see.
The Flash Monkey by Russ Maddin, is the latest streamer pattern from the creator of the popular Circus Peanut, Mad Pup, and South Bound Trucker. As in the past, Russ continues to push the evolution of fly tying – this pattern combines new materials from FlyMen and Hareline Dubbing with traditional hackles from Whiting Farms.
Requiring over 2 years to perfect, the Flash Monkey needed to meet Russ’ strict streamer standards. Countless trips to the river testing the Flash Monkey ensured it was properly balanced and moved in the river currents for maximum effectiveness.
This video is more than a simple tying demo. It breaks down the Flash Monkey and gives you full access into the mind of fly designer, fisherman , and river steward Russ Maddin. As he discusses his methods of tying, how to fish the pattern, and more. It also includes Q&A with Jon Ray discussing several retrieves to bring this fly to life, the best Scientific Anglers fly lines for the pattern, and how to build your leader to get the most out of your fly.
No matter your experience level you’ll learn something from this video. If you’re into streamer fishing – no matter the species – this is a must-watch video.