https://i0.wp.com/mangledfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/fall-steelhead-swing-patterns308.jpg?fit=640%2C640&ssl=1 640 640 Jon Ray https://mangledfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/mangled-fly-fishing.jpg Jon Ray2019-11-05 09:28:152019-11-05 09:28:22Pic of the Day – New Steelhead Swing Colors
Pic of the Day – New Steelhead Swing Colors
New Swing Colors
Hard to believe after this many years that it took me this long to find love with the color purple on the swing fly program. But 2019 I finally did it. Have to thank Brett Howard for pushing me over the edge. This color combination has been in the Great Lakes Steelhead swing game for many years, but I just didn’t seem to ever gravitate to it. Well now that I have had success I find my self tying it more often. If your looking to expand you color scheme in your fly box here is a quick fly recipe.
Once the season slows down have goals of expanding this section of the Mangled Fly Blog, more details more videos and better fly patterns that need to be shared. Good luck this fall and hope this color can make it into your box.
- I use cotter pins with medium weight dumbbell eyes
- Hook is a size 1 Mosquito by Owner, this year using braid 50# to attach
- Barred Rabbit or Marabou in Purple
- Also experimenting with a sparkle brush as an underbody currently (purple)
- Flash is Grape , as much as you like. I don’t count strands
- Ice dub head ( defiantly chartreuse as the finishing color, but pink and orange have both worked as the core color)