Patagonia’s das pants have been a staple of my winter steelhead gear for the past 3 years, anytime when temperatures plummet into the 30’s, 20’s, and or are your crazy your going fishing range. The das pants from Patagonia is one of my first layers I put on. I can still remember the first day I wore a pair of these pants, felt like I was in a warm down based sleeping bag all day. I love the feel of the pant, it’s more of a relax feel than a tight based under layer. No yoga lulu lemon feel. More like a cozy pair of sweatpants. The das pants are easy to wear under waders or bibs. Plenty of room in the legs and crotch area to move, climb over boat gunnels and jump onto shore. The nylon shell is a great windproof layer, and is treated to be very water repellent. Durability just like every other item I own from Patagonia is top notch, 3 years equals about 300 days of use. Not a problem yet. Also feel comfortable in these pants after a long day of fishing to wear them into the local watering hole for a little warm-up juice if I so desire.
My only con with the Patagonia das pants is that they can be “too” warm. I have to watch the high temperature of the day. If the temps are going to reach middle or upper 40’s, I could be too warm. I have to adjust my layering and bring my backup pair of pants to change out. Also if I’m going to do a long walk let’s say on the little manistee for a day of coho and or early winter steelhead, I’m going to be too warm too. I’ll end up sweating underneath the layer, the PU coated nylon will hold in my heat too much and I’ll end up having puddles of moisture. But in the same sense if know I’m spending a day in the drift boat or sled, where I’m sitting more than I’m walking these pants are amazing.
- Lightweight, PU-coated nylon ripstop shell is durable, water-resistant, windproof and treated with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish
- Highly compressible, water-resistant 100-g PrimaLoft® ONE insulation provides maximum warmth for its weight
- Pants have elasticized waist with hook-and-loop tab adjustments at side zips, and separating 2-way zip fly with snap closure
- Full-length 2-way side zips with insulated wind flaps for easy on/off
- Elasticized mini-gaiter cuffs with snap-tab closures lock in heat and accommodate an alpine boot
- 1.2-oz 20-denier 100% nylon PU-coated ripstop, with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Insulation: 100-g PrimaLoft® ONE 100% polyester
by Jon Ray